Tuesday 8 July 2008

Passive group experience

I have been thinking about the Clay Shirky lecture on the cognitive surplus, and how its the end of TV as we know it. Funnily enough, my 4 year old son did the same thing with looking for the mouse.

The thing that I cannot reconcile with Clay's line of thought is that people like a passive experience, if you look at behavioural data, my guess is that they people to be fed and that the TV helps them remove the need to think, sure the kids like to play the interactive games (they also constantly change channels) but as they get older they chill out and slow down.

In terms of technology clearly the internet will replace TV, but I guess there is a hole in the market for a passive group experience.

Any Ideas?

No comments:

Elliott - a little more

London, United Kingdom
I am an architect with shed loads of familiarity in providing high profile consumer media, products and services. I conceive ideas, design and lead projects to create new consumer products. I love brainstorming ideas with marketing counterparts and creating future facing and innovative solutions. I have been responsible for high volume mass consumer market features where scale, reliability and the ability to quickly respond are of crucial importance.